*NOTE* – Before proceeding please be advised that the following instructional will create a medicinal cannabis tincture that is exceedingly potent. Self titration of dose should start at 1 mL and move up by .5-1 mL increments up to 3 mL Many patients feel they have a huge tolerance so they “go big or go home.” Oftentimes these folks get WAAAY more than they have bargained for. Nearly every patient I have met finds the sweet spot for medicating between 1-3 mL. Please remember that Cannabis has never killed anyone but an overdose can be quite unpleasant, so take ‘er easy dude.
*MEDICAL USE DISCLAIMER* – Also note that this recipe is intended for medical marijuana patients who have permission to use cannabis for their ailments as per state law. I myself am a Medical Marijuana patient in the state of Connecticut and do not approve of this recipe being used by anyone without a medical cannabis card.
*SAFETY HAZARD* – This recipe also calls for using Ethanol and heat – which can be a fire hazard if caution is not used. Please do not use any open flames or smoke when you are making tincture. Ensure you do this in a well ventilated area.
Now on with the show!
Cannabis has been used throughout time as a medicine. Historically it has been used as an antiemetic, an anticonvulsant, an antispasmotic, an anti-inflammatory agent, anti-cancer, anti-tumor, anxiolytic etc. Quite simply – Cannabis is a miracle drug that is extraordinarily safe. Circa early 1900’s Cannabis Indica was a staple in American Pharmacies especially available in the form of Tincture. This is an extract of the female Cannabis flowers in ethanol AKA alcohol. Cannabis tintures were really all the rage back before cannabis became illegal in America. In fact, this was the preferred method of ingesting Cannabis. These days one can make a VERY potent tincture out of household items. Tincture is a godsend for my Ulcerative Colitis as it tends to quell gastrointestinal spasms and allow for a good nights rest.
Internet Tincture Revival
The best method I have found for making tincture was posted on the Cannabis.com forum circa 2006 by a guy that goes by the name Master Wu. For convenience, below is an executive summary of my findings based on the Master Wu method. Also provided are some bullet point notes for maximum efficiency. Follow the recipe to the T and you will be rewarded with a very potent and effective way to medicate. Please note I am no scientist, doctor or health professional. I am a legal medical marijuana patient who suffers from IBD, specifically Ulcerative Colitis. Some years back I found out about Master Wu from the FuckCombustion.com forum.
Soon I began experimenting with making my own tinctures and had great success with leveraging medicinal cannabis for treating my GI spasms, bowel movements and pain. As sufferers of Crohns disease and Colitis know, during a flair up the pain and urgency to run to the bathroom does NOT end at night. Often times the sufferer will be rolling around in bed in a great deal of pain, sprinting to the bathroom periodically. Sleep becomes a precious resource. and this tincture really helps. It is my hope to help those suffering from chronic diseases that this tincture made from potent Cannabis Indica will help you in your journey to wellness and inner peace. Please lean on friends and family when you need to and know that a better day will come for you. God bless and best of luck in your recovery.
Master Wu’s Method – Executive Summary:
3.5 grams (1/8th oz) of high quality medicinal cannabis
2 oz of 95% Grain Alcohol (look for Everclear or Grave’s Grain brands in the U.S.A.)
1. Grind cannabis with coffee grinder
2. Place in aluminum foil tray and bake at 325°F for 5 minutes.
3. Remove from oven and place cannabis in 2 oz of 95% Grain Alcohol
4. Simmer in a water bath until the mixture is reduced by half. Reduction should be complete in 10-20 minutes, so stir periodically and keep an eye on this mixture. Try to maintain temperature of the grain alcohol/cannabis mixture around 170°F.
5. Strain the mixture and store
Fully squeeze the eyedropper bulb and suck up a dose of tincture. This will fill the dropper about halfway and is almost exactly 1 mL. Please start off with a single mL of tincture and see how you feel, effects will begin after about and hour and gradually build. It is important to self titrate (experiment with effective dose) as there will be slight variability between batches. 1 mL’s effects will last around 5 hours, while 2 mL seems to last around 8.
95% Ethanol is very strong and it will create a burning sensation in your mouth/throat. Please dilute your tincture by mixing it in some tea, beer or glass of water. Note that good tincture is an acquired taste and there is nothing quite like some Chamomile-Cannabis tea. Alternatively, one can squirt the dose in an equal amount of water or small shot glass with water and throw it down the hatch. This method isn’t as elegant but gets the job done just fine.
The best results generally come from ingesting the tincture around half an hour before a big meal. Once again, please start conservatively at first. As perviously noted, 1-3 mL of top shelf tincture seems to be the sweet spot for medicating most patients – with the majority feeling very good from 1 mL or 2 mL. Generally 1 mL will be a pleasurable but gentle buzz, while 2 mL the effects become more pronounced and can be described as more stony and lethargic AKA “couch lock” effects. Please do not operate any machinery especially motor vehicles or have critical tasks at hand when you dose.
GreenDiet Maximum Efficiency Notes:
After reading the entire Master Wu Revised thread (20 pages long) There were many people that were successful and some were not. Those that failed didn’t follow the recipe. The same was true for the Green Dragon thread on FuckCombustion.com. Please follow the recipe to the T with the following notes:
- Use the absolute highest medical Cannabis Indica flowers you can find. Do NOT use medicine that has already been vaporized, stems, shake, mids, schwag etc. Garbage in, garbage out
- Recommended strains are heavy-hitting Indica’s such as: Master Kush, Afghani Kush, Afghani #1, Grand Daddy Purple, Black Domina etc.
- Heavy-hitting Indicas are sedative medicines that reduce spasms, anxiety and pain.
- Use Everclear. This is 95% pure ethanol. The higher the alcohol %, the better the extraction
- Use a coffee grinder to expose maximum surface area. I set mine to fine grind and pulsed it for 2 seconds, around 5 times
- Preheat a good (accurate) oven to 325 F and make a small tray with sides by using ~2 feet of aluminum foil
- Fold the aluminum foil in half, then fold it half again so that it is 4 quarters folded. Now make little sides so no ground bud can fall out
- Aluminum foil is superior to a cooking tray as it will heat up instantly
- The idea is that the temp is at 325 F when we put in the ground herb and the actual herb and tray will heat to that temp as quickly as possible. Set your timer for 5 minutes and take it out once your timer goes off
- Set your stove on medium and heat a 9 inch diameter skillet with one inch of water. Then place a pint mason jar or small pyrex dish in the middle with your 2 oz of everclear and ground herb in it. Monitor the temperature with a glass scientific thermometer or metal oven thermometer. From here, adjust your burner accordingly. You want the herb solution simmering around 170F.
- Do not worry about overheating as pure alcohol boils at 173F and I noticed it is hard to get 95% Ethanol past 175 or so.
- After 10-20 minutes, when the mixture has reduced by half – place a small funnel with a coffee filter in it over your 1 oz dropper bottle.
- Pour the solution through and at the end squeeze the coffee filter or press on the steel strainer to get all the liquid out
Step by Step Pictorial:
Starting with top shelf Master Kush product (Thank you Rhode Island Caregiver for your compassionate service)
Tools of the trade pictured
Grinding with Coffee Grinder and placing in aluminum tray for decarboxylation @325 degrees for 5 minutes in oven
Material pictured after decarboxylation
2 ounces of 95% Grain Alcohol measured out and placed in Pyrex dish
1 inch of water heated in 9 inch skillet. Pyrex dish is now in our saucepan and functioning as a double boiler. Temperature is set to Medium-Medium High to achieve Ethanol temp of ~170 degrees, until tincture is reduced by half
Letting sit to cool for a minute or two, then filtering
Done – Tincture is ready immediately for ingestion. Enjoy your liquid greens folks!
Tincture is a very underrated way to ingest cannabis, which is quite hard for me to fathom. This method is extremely efficient compared to smoking and is discreet. The patient is able to be medicated for hours on end without having to inhale any harsh smoke. Please share this with other MMJ patients and I’d love to hear your experience or comments below in the comments section – thanks!
P.S. Wondering where to get these cool tincture bottles, coffee grinder, funnels and filter? Hit up the Amazon links below: